America's only association dedicated solely
to the needs of independent garden centers
'Man Cave' Wins the Gold in GCA Best Bathrooms Awards, Seven Garden Centers Honored for their Facilities
Garden Centers of America (GCA) recognized seven stores for their restrooms with its second annual GCA Bathrooms Awards, presented during the GCA Membership Networking Luncheon held during the IGC Show at Navy Pier, August 2012. A panel judged the entries on the bathroom’s creativity and comfort to the customer’s overall shopping experience. The winner of the top honor, the Gold Award, received a plaque and comp registration for the 2013 GCA Summer Tour. Other recognitions included a Silver Award and several Awards of Merit, also honored with plaques.
GOLD WINNER Baker’s Acres Greenhouse, Alexandria, OH
SILVER AWARD Oakland Nursery, Delaware, OH
MERIT AWARD Cedar Rim Nursery, Langley, BC, Canada
• Cedar Rim Nursery wanted its women’s bathroom to represent the area’s farming roots.
• The piece of wood that the sink sits on is from a 100-year-old barn on the property that blew down in a wind storm a few winters ago.
• The barn was one of the original six barns dating back to when the area was first settled.
• The bicycle with the basket of flowers adds a fun touch.
MERIT AWARD Lammscapes, Jackson, WI
• Lammscapes displays merchandise from the store in its restroom. People often come out with an item in their hands, ready to buy.
• On the walls and shelves, pictures, trellises, garden art and mirrors are displayed – all for sale.
• There is a chair where women can set their purse – and it, too, is for sale!
• The displays are updated regularly to keep it interesting.
MERIT AWARD The Garden Place, Norway, MI
• The Garden Place brings the outdoors into the bathroom with branches and artificial greenery.
• Wrought iron fencing is accented with decorative netting.
• Garden decor on display inside is available for sale.
• Extra clean towels and paper products are made readily available.
MERIT AWARD Plants for All Seasons, Spring, TX
• Plants for All Seasons wants customers to feel at home in their bathrooms.
• Wall-to-wall hand-textured faux painting is accented with raised imprints of palms and ferns.
• Special attention was paid to selecting the perfect furniture, lighting and mirror.
• Floral arrangements, potpourri and candles add ambiance.
• An old-fashioned spigot dispenses water into the copper basin sink.
MERIT AWARD GoodSeed Farm, Peebles, OH
• GoodSeed Farm is a small, rural garden center open for retail five months of the year. There isn’t sufficient percolation for septic on-site, and the cost of a permanent ADA-compliant restroom building is prohibitive.
• So the garden center rents the nicest, most spacious ADA-compliant Porta Potty available, decorating it inside and shading and?screening it with a small structure modeled after an outhouse.
• Inside are potted plants, a hand-painted quilt square and lace curtains.
• The shelter includes a wash stand with L’Occitane soap on a rope, a mirror and solar-heated running spring water.
•The entire facility sits on a dry-laid paver patio, surrounded by planters and a wrought-iron bench.
• An open design floating shelf unit on the wall allows customers to grab more paper products.
• An empty shelf at the entrance allows women to store their purse up off the floor.